I’ll just let Gerry say it:
If there has been a constant in my 20+ years of consulting with websites it is that most websites produce far too much low quality ego content. This is true for both commercial, government and non-profit websites.
- Telenor of Norway deleted almost 90% of their pages. Conversions went up by 100%. Support requests went down by 35%
- The Norwegian Cancer Society removed almost 90% of their content and saw extremely positive results.
- The US Department of Health deleted 150,000 of their 200,000 pages. Nobody noticed.
- Columbia University of Chicago deleted 97% of their pages. Student application inquiries went up by 80%
- Liverpool City went from 4,000 pages to 700 on their website. Support requests went down and online reporting went up.
Clear, well-written content is appreciated (and actionable) by your users.